- Originally, the DuPont company trade name for polyamide, a copolymer whose molecules consist of alternating diamine and dicarboxylic acid monomers bonded together; now generically used for this type of polymer.
- (in the plural) A stocking originally fabricated from nylon; also used generically for any long, sheer stocking worn on a woman's legs.
- I tore a hole in my nylons while walking home through the woods.
- French: nylon
- German: Nylon
- Italian: nylon, nailon
- Portuguese: nylon, náilon
- Russian: нейло́н
- Spanish: nylon, nilón, nailon
- (often, attributively) New York-London, a reference to transatlantic life, people who spend time in both cities, or a transatlantic culture featuring both cities.