- IPA: /pɪktʃəˈɹɛsk/
- Resembling or worthy of a picture or painting; having the qualities of a picture or painting; pleasingly beautiful.
- We looked down onto a beautiful, picturesque sunset over the ocean.
- 1900, Charles W. Chesnutt, The House Behind the Cedars, Chapter I,
- A two minutes' walk brought Warwick--the name he had registered under, and as we shall call him--to the market-house, the central feature of Patesville, from both the commercial and the picturesque points of view.
- Strikingly graphic or vivid; having striking and vivid imagery.
- picturesque language
- French: pittoresque
- German: (especially of nature) malerisch; (especially of settlements) pittoresk
- Italian: pittoresco
- Portuguese: pitoresco
- Russian: живопи́сный
- Spanish: pintoresco