- The act of adopting.
- The state of being adopted; the acceptance of a child of other parents as if he or she were one's own child.
- A Chinese baby girl was given away for adoption.
- Admission to an institution, for example a hospital, clinic, mental asylum.
- the adoption of people into hospitals or monasteries
- The choosing and making that to be one's own which originally was not so; acceptance
- the adoption of opinions
- the adoption of words from another language
- (computing) Transfer between an old system to another (usually better) system.
- Our company is considering the adoption of a four-day week.
- (theology) An act of divine grace by which the redeemed in Christ are admitted to the privileges of the sons of God.
- (informal, jocular, chess) Ten consecutive wins against an opponent.
- French: adoption
- German: Adoption
- Italian: adozione
- Portuguese: adoção
- Russian: усыновле́ние
- Spanish: adopción