cliché (plural clichés)
- Something, most often a phrase or expression, that is overused or used outside its original context, so that its original impact and meaning are lost. A trite saying; a platitude. [from 19th c.]
- The villain kidnapping the love interest in a film is a bit of a cliché.
- (printing) A stereotype (printing plate).
- French: cliché
- German: Klischee, Gemeinplatz
- Italian: cliché
- Portuguese: clichê, lugar-comum, chavão, platitude
- Russian: клише́
- Spanish: cliché, clisé, tópico
- (proscribed) clichéd; having the characteristics of a cliché
cliché (clichés, present participle clichéing; past and past participle clichéd)
- (ambitransitive) To use a cliché; to make up a word or a name that sounds like a cliché.