- Being in accord with established forms.
- She spoke formal English, without any dialect.
- I'd like to make a formal complaint.
- Relating to the form or structure of something.
- Formal linguistics ignores the vocabulary of languages and focuses solely on their grammar.
- Relating to formation.
- The formal stage is a critical part of any child's development.
- Ceremonial or traditional.
- Formal wear must be worn at my wedding!
- Proper, according to strict etiquette; not casual.
- He's always very formal, and I wish he'd relax a bit.
- Organized; well-structured and planned.
- When they became a formal club the rowers built a small boathouse.
- (mathematics) Relating to mere manipulation and construction of strings of symbols, without regard to their meaning.
- Formal series are defined without any reference to convergence.
- Portuguese: formal
- (uncountable) Formalin.
- An evening gown.
- An event with a formal dress code.
- Jenny took Sam to her Year 12 formal.
- (programming) A formal parameter.