homely (comparative homelier, superlative homeliest)
- (North America) Lacking in beauty or elegance, plain in appearance, physically unattractive.
- There is none so homely but loves a looking-glass.
- Antonyms: comely
- (India) Cozy, befitting a home.
- (archaic) Characteristic of or belonging to home; domestic. [from early 14th c.]
- (UK dialectal) On intimate or friendly terms with (someone); familiar; at home (with a person); intimate.
- (UK dialectal, of animals) Domestic; tame.
- (UK dialectal) Personal; private.
- (UK dialectal) Friendly; kind; gracious; cordial.
- (India) Conservative and family-oriented.
- I am seeking a beautiful homely girl for marriage.
- (archaic) Simple; plain; familiar; unelaborate; unadorned. [from late 14th c.]
- a homely garment
- homely fare
- homely manners
- German: heimisch
- Spanish: hogareño