- IPA: /pɹəˈpɹaɪətɚ/
- An owner.
- A sole owner of an unincorporated business, also called a sole proprietor.
- One of the owners of an unincorporated business, a partner.
- (history) One or more persons to whom a colonial territory is assigned, like a fief, including its administration.
- From 10 September 1621 till 12 June 1632, Sir William Alexander, styled Earl of Stirling and Viscount of Canada, was proprietor of the Scottish colony Nova Scotia.
- French: propriétaire
- German: Inhaber, Inhaberin, Besitzer, Besitzerin
- Italian: proprietario
- Portuguese: proprietário, dono
- Russian: владе́лец
- Spanish: propietario