- A part of culture that is passed from person to person or generation to generation, possibly differing in detail from family to family, such as the way to celebrate holidays.
- A commonly held system.
- The act of delivering into the hands of another; delivery.
- A deed takes effect only from the tradition or delivery.
- (a commonly held system) doctrine
- French: tradition
- German: Tradition, Überlieferung, (primeval, early) Urüberlieferung
- Italian: tradizione
- Portuguese: tradição
- Russian: тради́ция
- Spanish: tradición
tradition (traditions, present participle traditioning; past and past participle traditioned)
- (obsolete) To transmit by way of tradition; to hand down.
- The following story is […] traditioned with very much credit amongst our English Catholics.