- IPA: /əˈsɛnd/
ascend (ascends, present participle ascending; past and past participle ascended)
- (intransitive) To move upward, to fly, to soar.
- He ascended to heaven upon a cloud.
- (intransitive) To slope in an upward direction.
- The road ascends the mountain.
- (transitive) To go up.
- You ascend the stairs and take a right.
- (transitive) To succeed.
- She ascended the throne when her mother abdicated.
- (figurative) To rise; to become higher, more noble, etc.
- Our inquiries ascend to the remotest antiquity.
- French: monter
- German: steigen, aufsteigen
- Italian: salire
- Portuguese: ascender, subir
- Russian: поднима́ться
- Spanish: subir, ascender