document (plural documents)
- An original or official paper used as the basis, proof, or support of anything else, including any writing, book, or other instrument conveying information pertinent to such proof or support.
- Any material substance on which the information is represented by writing.
- (computing) A file that contains text.
- (obsolete) That which is taught or authoritatively set forth; precept; instruction; dogma.
- (obsolete) An example for instruction or warning.
- French: document, écrit
- German: Unterlagen, Dokument, Aktenstück, Schriftstück
- Italian: documento, carta
- Portuguese: documento
- Russian: докуме́нт
- Spanish: documento, pliego
document (documents, present participle documenting; past and past participle documented)
- To record in documents.
- He documented each step of the process as he did it, which was good when the investigation occurred.
- To furnish with documents or papers necessary to establish facts or give information.
- A ship should be documented according to the directions of law.