forerunner (plural forerunners)
- A runner at the front or ahead.
- (sport) By extension, a non-competitor who leads out the competitors on to the circuit, or who runs/rides the course prior to competitor trials, usually testing or checking the way.
- A precursor or harbinger, a warning ahead.
- A forebear, an ancestor, a predecessor.
- Bakelite is a forerunner of today's plastics.
- (philately) A postage stamp used in the time before a region or area issues stamps of its own.
- German: Vornewegläufer, Frontläufer
- German: Vorbote, Vorzeichen, Vorläufer, Wegbereiter, Vorreiter
- Portuguese: precursor
- Russian: предше́ственник
- Spanish: precursor