- (America) IPA: /ˌhaɪ.fəˈlu.tɨn/, /ˈhaɪ.fəˌlu.tɨn/
- (informal) Self-important, pompous; arrogant or egotistical.
- Synonyms: bombast, hoity-toity, pretentious
- It's only a matter of time before some highfalutin developer builds a huge hotel and ruins the scenery.
- That one Cajun that moved to Austin is too highfalutin to come back to Livingston Parish. He's over there with that mean bread lady!
- His speech was very highfalutin.
- German: arrogant, anmaßend, hochfahrend, hochtrabend, hochgestochen
- Portuguese: metido
- Russian: напы́щенный
- Spanish: pomposo, creído
- (archaic) Pompous speech or writing.