receiver (plural receivers)
- A person who or thing that receives or is intended to receive something. More formal, usually referring to one who receives such things as an award or medal.
- Synonyms: recipient
, "The Begging-Letter Writer", Household Words
- I, the writer of this paper, have been, for some time, a chosen receiver of Begging Letters.
- A trustee appointed to hold and administer property involved in litigation.
- A person appointed to settle the affairs of an insolvent entity.
- Synonyms: insolvency administrator, insolvency practitioner, liquidator, administrator, court administrator, trustee in bankruptcy
- A tax collector.
- A person who accepts stolen goods.
- Any of several electronic devices that receive signals and convert them into sound or vision.
- Antonyms: transmitter
- 1976, Boating (volume 40, numbers 1-2, page 152)
- The FCC says it decided to attempt standardization of VHF receivers after getting "thousands of complaints" from disgruntled boatmen who found their sets brought in mostly a lot of garble and static.
- (American football) An offensive player who catches the ball after it has been passed.
- (tennis) A person who attempts to return the ball after it has been served.
- An element of a mechanical or other system or device designed to accept another element.
- (firearms) The part of a firearm containing the action.
- A vessel for receiving the exhaust steam from the high-pressure cylinder before it enters the low-pressure cylinder, in a compound steam engine.
- A capacious vessel for receiving steam from a distant boiler, and supplying it dry to an engine.
- (chemistry) A vessel for receiving and holding the products of distillation, or for containing gases.
- (chemistry) The glass vessel of an air pump in which the vacuum is formed.
- (finance) A swaption which gives its holder the option to enter into a swap in which they pay the floating leg and receive the fixed leg.
- French: destinataire
- German: Empfänger
- Portuguese: (Brazil) destinatário, recebedor
- Russian: получа́тель
- Spanish: destinatario
- French: récepteur
- German: Empfangsgerät, Empfänger
- Italian: (telephone) cornetta
- Portuguese: (Brazil) receptor
- Russian: приёмник
- Spanish: receptor