red herring (plural red herrings)
- A herring that is cured in smoke and brine strong enough to turn the flesh red; a type of kipper.
- Up in the morning, and had some red herrings to our breakfast, while my boot-heel was a-mending, by the same token the boy left the hole as big as it was before.
- (figuratively) A clue, information, argument etc. that is or is intended to be misleading, diverting attention from the real answer or issue.
- (finance) A red herring prospectus.
- French: diversion, leurre
- German: falsche Fährte, Nebelkerze (figurative), Ablenkung (general)
- Italian: falsa pista, (idiomatic) specchietto per le allodole
- Portuguese: pista falsa
- Russian: ло́жный след
- Spanish: pista falsa