- IPA: /stuːdʒ/
stooge (plural stooges)
- One who knowingly allows himself or herself to be used for another's profit; a dupe.
- Synonyms: Thesaurus:loyal follower
- (comedy) A straight man.
- A secret informant for police.
- (psychology) A confederate; a person who is secretly working for the researcher, unknown to the study participant.
- French: dupe, pion, pigeon, larbin, laquais
- German: Handlanger, Handlangerin, Strohmann, Strohfrau
- Russian: марионе́тка
- Spanish: primo, marioneta, iluso
stooge (stooges, present participle stooging; past and past participle stooged)
- (intransitive) To act as a straight man.