- (intransitive, idiomatic) to become happy
- I cheered up after seeing the results.
- (transitive, idiomatic) to make someone happy
- The arrival of the unexpected letter cheered him up almost immediately.
- German: bessere Laune bekommen, aufheitern (transitive), aufmuntern (transitive)
- Italian: incoraggiare, sostenere, invogliare
- Portuguese: animar-se
- Russian: утеша́ться
- Spanish: animarse
- French: remonter le moral
- German: aufmuntern, ermuntern, ermutigen, erheitern
- Italian: sollevare il morale
- Portuguese: animar
- Russian: ободря́ть
- Spanish: animar
- an encouragement to somebody who seems unhappy
- Cheer up! Things could be worse.
- French: courage
- German: Kopf hoch!
- Italian: coraggio!, forza!
- Portuguese: anime-se
- Russian: вы́ше го́лову!
- Spanish: ánimo