moderator (plural moderators)
- someone who moderates
- Angling was […] a moderator of passions.
- the person who presides over a synod of a Presbyterian Church
- (physics) a substance (often water or graphite) used to decrease the speed of fast neutrons in a nuclear reactor and hence increase likelihood of fission
- a device used to deaden some of the noise from a firearm, although not to the same extent as a suppressor or silencer.
- (UK) An examiner at Oxford and Cambridge universities.
- (Ireland) At the University of Dublin, either the first (senior) or second (junior) in rank in an examination for the degree of Bachelor of Arts.
- (UK) someone who supervises and monitors the setting and marking of examinations by different people to ensure consistency of standards.
- A mechanical arrangement for regulating motion in a machine, or producing equality of effect.
- (historical) A kind of lamp in which the flow of the oil to the wick is regulated.
- French: modérateur
- German: Moderator
- Italian: moderatore
- Russian: модера́тор
- Spanish: moderador, moderadora