university (plural universities)
- Institution of higher education (typically accepting students from the age of about 17 or 18, depending on country, but in some exceptional cases able to take younger students) where subjects are studied and researched in depth and degrees are offered.
- The only reason why I haven't gone to university is because I can't afford it.
- 1661, John Fell (bishop), The Life of the most learned, reverend and pious Dr. H. Hammond ↗
- During the whole time of his abode in the university he generally spent thirteen hours of the day in study; by which assiduity besides an exact dispatch of the whole course of philosophy, he read over in a manner all classic authors that are extant […]
- French: université, fac, univ
- German: Universität, Hochschule, Uni
- Italian: università, accademia, istituto, politecnico, collegio, ateneo
- Portuguese: universidade
- Russian: университе́т
- Spanish: universidad