- While on the contrary; although; whereas.
- 1595 December 9 (first known performance), William Shakespeare, “The life and death of King Richard the Second”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies: Published According to the True Originall Copies (First Folio), London: Printed by Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358 ↗, [Act III, scene ii]:
- And flight and die is death destroying death; / Where fearing dying pays death servile breath.
- July 18 2012, Scott Tobias, AV Club The Dark Knight Rises[http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-dark-knight-rises-review-batman,82624/]
- Where the Joker preys on our fears of random, irrational acts of terror, Bane has an all-consuming, dictatorial agenda that’s more stable and permanent, a New World Order that’s been planned out with the precision of a military coup.
- Where Susy has trouble coloring inside the lines, Johnny has already mastered shading.
- At or in which place or situation.
- He is looking for a house where he can have a complete office.
- I've forgotten where I was in this book, but it was probably around chapter four.
- To which place or situation.
- The snowbirds travel where it is warm.
- Their job is to go where they are called.
- (legal) In a position, case, etc., in which.
- Where no provision under this Act is applicable, the case shall be decided in accordance with the customary practices.
- Portuguese: enquanto
- French: où, d'où (where from)
- German: wo, woher (where from)
- Italian: dove
- Portuguese: onde, aonde
- Russian: где
- Spanish: donde, dónde
where (not comparable)
- Interrogative adverb, used in either a direct or indirect question: at what place; to what place; what place.
- Where are you?
- Where are you going?
- He asked where I grew up.
- With the preposition from
- Where did you come from?
- In what situation.
- Where would we be without our parents?
- (relative) At which, on which.
- That is the place where we first met.
- The place in which.
- He lives within five miles of where he was born.
where (plural wheres)
- The place in which something happens.
- A good article will cover the who, the what, the when, the where, the why and the how.
- Finding the nymph asleep in secret where