roast (roasts, present participle roasting; past and past participle roasted)
- (transitive or intransitive or ergative) To cook food by heating in an oven or over a fire without covering, resulting in a crisp, possibly even slightly charred appearance.
- cot en
- to roast meat on a spit
- To cook by surrounding with hot embers, ashes, sand, etc.
- to roast a potato in ashes
- 1626, Francis Bacon, Sylva Sylvarum, Or, A Naturall Historie: In Ten Centuries
- In eggs boiled and roasted […] there is scarce difference to be discerned.
- (transitive or intransitive or ergative) To process by drying through exposure to sun or artificial heat
- Coffee beans need roasting before use.
- to roast chestnuts or peanuts
- To heat to excess; to heat violently; to burn.
- c. 1599–1602, William Shakespeare, “The Tragedie of Hamlet, Prince of Denmarke”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies: Published According to the True Originall Copies (First Folio), London: Printed by Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358 ↗, [Act II, scene ii]:
- roasted in wrath and fire
- (transitive, figuratively) To admonish someone vigorously
- I’m late home for the fourth time this week; my mate will really roast me this time.
- (transitive, figuratively) To subject to bantering, severely criticize, sometimes as a comedy routine.
- The class clown enjoys being roasted by mates as well as staff.
- (metalworking) To dissipate by heat the volatile parts of, as ores.
- Spanish: asar
- Portuguese: torrar
- French: incendier
roast (plural roasts)
- A cut of meat suited to roasting
- A meal consisting of roast foods.
- The degree to which something, especially coffee, is roasted.
- Dark roast means that the coffee bean has been roasted to a higher temperature and for a longer period of time than in light roast.
- A comical event, originally fraternal, where a person is subjected to verbal attack, yet may be praised by sarcasm and jokes.
- Portuguese: assadura
- French: bien-cuit
- Spanish: brindis cómico, vejamen
roast (not comparable)
- Having been cooked by roasting.
- Synonyms: roasted
- (figuratively) Subjected to roasting, bantered, severely criticized.