Related terms Translations
- IPA: /ˈstɹaɪv/
strive (strives, present participle striving; past strove, past participle striven)
- To try to achieve a result; to make strenuous effort; to try earnestly and persistently.
- He strove to excel.
- to strive for the truth
- To struggle in opposition; to be in contention or dispute; to contend; to contest.
- to strive against fate
- Now private pity strove with public hate, / Reason with rage, and eloquence with fate.
- To vie; to compete as a rival.
- 1667, John Milton, “Book IV”, in Paradise Lost. A Poem Written in Ten Books, London: Printed [by Samuel Simmons], and are to be sold by Peter Parker […] [a]nd by Robert Boulter […] [a]nd Matthias Walker, […], OCLC 228722708 ↗; republished as Paradise Lost in Ten Books: The Text Exactly Reproduced from the First Edition of 1667: […], London: Basil Montagu Pickering […], 1873, OCLC 230729554 ↗:
- [Not] that sweet grove / Of Daphne, by Orontes and the inspired / Castalian spring, might with this paradise / Of Eden strive.
conjugation of strive
|present||I strive||we strive||I am striving||we are striving||I have striven||we have striven||I have been striving||we have been striving|
|you strive||you strive||you are striving||you are striving||you have striven||you have striven||you have been striving||you have been striving|
|he strives||they strive||he is striving||they are striving||he has striven||they have striven||he has been striving||they have been striving|
|past||I strove||we strove||I was striving||we were striving||I had striven||we had striven||I had been striving||we had been striving|
|you strove||you strove||you were striving||you were striving||you had striven||you had striven||you had been striving||you had been striving|
|he strove||they strove||he was striving||they were striving||he had striven||they had striven||he had been striving||they had been striving|
|future||I will strive||we will strive||I will be striving||we will be striving||I will have striven||we will have striven||I will have been striving||we will have been striving|
|you will strive||you will strive||you will be striving||you will be striving||you will have striven||you will have striven||you will have been striving||you will have been striving|
|he will strive||they will strive||he will be striving||they will be striving||he will have striven||they will have striven||he will have been striving||they will have been striving|
|conditional||I would strive||we would strive||I would be striving||we would be striving||I would have striven||we would have striven||I would have been striving||we would have been striving|
|you would strive||you would strive||you would be striving||you would be striving||you would have striven||you would have striven||you would have been striving||you would have been striving|
|he would strive||they would strive||he would be striving||they would be striving||he would have striven||they would have striven||he would have been striving||they would have been striving|
- French: s'efforcer
- German: streben, sich bemühen, sich anstrengen, ringen um, sich einsetzen für
- Italian: sforzarsi, cercare, ambire, arrabattarsi, ingegnarsi, adoperarsi
- Portuguese: esforçar-se, batalhar
- Russian: стреми́ться
- Spanish: esforzarse, afanarse
- French: ≈ against combattre
- German: ≈ against ringen mit, sich einsetzen gegen
- Italian: lottare, battersi
strive (plural strives)
- (obsolete) Alternative form of strife