- IPA: /ʍɪskə(ɹ)/, /wɪskə(ɹ)/
whisker (plural whiskers)
- That part of the beard which grows upon the sides of the face, usually of the male, or upon the chin, or upon both.
- A hair of the beard.
- One of the long, projecting hairs growing at the sides of the mouth of a cat, or other animal.
- (colloquial) The (very small) distance between two things.
- It missed falling on your foot by a whisker.
- (nautical) Spreaders from the bows to spread the bowsprit shrouds.
- (statistics) A graphic element that shows the maxima and minima in a box plot.
- One who, or that which, whisks, or moves with a quick, sweeping motion.
- (metallurgy) A small tendril that forms on metal.
- French: favoris
- Italian: basetta, basettoni, favoriti, fedine
- Portuguese: costeleta, suíça
- Russian: бакенба́рды
- French: moustache, vibrisse
- German: Schnurrhaar, Vibrisse
- Italian: vibrissa, baffo
- Portuguese: bigode
- Russian: вибри́сса
- Spanish: vibrisa, bigote
- French: (colloquial) d’un poil, de justesse
- German: Haaresbreite
- Italian: pelo
- Portuguese: fio
- Russian: (within a hand's reach) руко́й пода́ть
- German: Whisker