- IPA: /əˈsɛs/
assess (assesses, present participle assessing; past and past participle assessed)
- (transitive) To determine, estimate or judge the value of; to evaluate
- He assessed the situation.
- (transitive) To impose or charge, especially as punishment for an infraction.
- The referee assessed a penalty for delaying the game.
- A $10.00 late fee will be assessed on all overdue accounts.
- (transitive) To calculate and demand (the tax money due) from a person or entity.
- Once you've submitted a tax return, the Tax Department will assess the amount of tax you still owe.
- French: estimer, évaluer
- German: schätzen, bewerten, einschätzen, beurteilen
- Italian: valutare, stimare, estimare
- Portuguese: estimar, avaliar
- Russian: определя́ть
- Spanish: evaluar, estimar