- IPA: /əˈweɪk/
awake (predicative only)
- Not asleep; conscious.
- Synonyms: conscious, lucid, wide awake, Thesaurus:awake
- Antonyms: asleep, unconscious, Thesaurus:asleep
- (figurative, by extension) Alert, aware.
- Synonyms: wary, woke, Thesaurus:vigilant
- Antonyms: heedless, oblivious
- They were awake to the possibility of a decline in sales.
- French: éveillé, réveillé
- German: wach
- Italian: sveglio, desto
- Portuguese: desperto, acordado
- Russian: бо́дрствующий
- Spanish: despierto
- Italian: consapevole, conscio, cosciente
- Spanish: listo, despierto
awake (awakes, present participle awaking; past awoke, past participle awoken)
- (intransitive) To become conscious after having slept.
- Synonyms: awaken, wake up, Thesaurus:wake
- Antonyms: fall asleep, Thesaurus:fall asleep
- Each morning when I awake, I experience again a supreme pleasure - that of being Salvador Dali.
- (transitive) To cause (somebody) to stop sleeping.
- Synonyms: bring round, cry, wake up, Thesaurus:awaken
- Antonyms: put to sleep
- 1485, Sir Thomas Malory, [http://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/cme/MaloryWks2/1:19.1?rgn=div2;view=fulltext chapter primum], in Le Morte Darthur, book XVII:
- Thenne she called the heremyte syre Vlfyn I am a gentylwoman that wold speke with the knyght whiche is with yow / Thenne the good man awaked Galahad / & badde hym aryse and speke with a gentylwoman that semeth hath grete nede of yow / Thenne Galahad wente to her & asked her what she wold
- 1665 Robert Hooke, Micrographia
- [This ant] I ſuffered to lye above an hour in the Spirit; and after I had taken it out, and put its body and legs into a natural poſture, remained moveleſs about an hour; but then , upon a ſudden, as if it had been awaken out of a drunken ſleep, it ſuddenly reviv'd and ran away...
- (transitive) to excite or to stir up something latent.
- (transitive, figurative) To rouse from a state of inaction or dormancy.
- (intransitive, figurative) To come out of a state of inaction or dormancy.
- The national spirit again awoke.
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), imprinted at London: By Robert Barker, […], OCLC 964384981 ↗, 1 Corinthians 15:34 ↗:
- Awake to righteousness, and sin not.
- French: réveiller
- German: aufwachen, erwachen
- Italian: svegliarsi
- Portuguese: acordar, despertar
- Russian: просыпа́ться
- Spanish: despertarse
- French: réveiller, éveiller
- German: aufwecken
- Italian: svegliare
- Portuguese: despertar, acordar
- Russian: буди́ть
- Spanish: despertar