- (RP) IPA: /ˈdɛkeɪd/, /dəˈkeɪd/
- (GA) enPR dĕk'ād, IPA: /ˈdɛkeɪd/, /dəˈkeɪd/
- (RP, GA) IPA: /ˈdɛkəd/ (set of ten prayers in a Rosary)
decade (plural decades)
- A group, set, or series of ten [from 16th c.], particularly:
- a decade of soldiers
- A period of ten years [from 17th c.], particularly such a period beginning with a year ending in 0 and ending with a year ending in 9. [from 19th c.]
- Synonyms: decennium
- The 1960s was a turbulent decade.
- I haven’t seen my cousin in over a decade!
- 1992, Rudolf M[athias] Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, New York, N.Y.: Columbia University Press, →ISBN, page viii:
- The repeated exposure, over decades, to most taxa here treated has resulted in repeated modifications of both diagnoses and discussions, as initial ideas of the various taxa underwent—often repeated—conceptual modification.
- A period of ten days, (history) particularly those in the ancient Egyptian, Coptic, and French Revolutionary calendars. [from 18th c.]
- (literary, archaic) A work in ten parts or books, particularly such divisions of Livy's History of Rome. [from 15th c.]
- (Roman Catholicism) A series of prayers counted on a rosary, typically consisting of an Our Father, followed by ten Hail Marys, and concluding with a Glory Be and sometimes the Fatima Prayer.
- Any of the sets of ten sequential braille characters with predictable patterns.
- (electronics) A set of ten electronic devices used to represent digits.
- (electronics) A set of resistors, capacitors, etc. connected so as to provide even increments between one and ten times a base electrical resistance.
- (physics, engineering) The interval between any two quantities having a ratio of 10 to 1.
- There are decades between 1.8 and 18, between 25 and 250 and between 0.03 and 0.003.
- French: décennie
- German: Jahrzehnt, (archaic) Dekade
- Italian: decennio, decade
- Portuguese: década, decênio
- Russian: десятиле́тие
- Spanish: década, decenio
- French: dizaine, décade
- German: Dekade
- Italian: decina
- Portuguese: dezena
- Russian: деся́ток
- Spanish: década