progenitor (plural progenitors)
- A forefather, any of a person's direct ancestors.
- Synonyms: ancestor, forefather
- cot en
- An individual from whom one or more people (dynasty, tribe, nation...) are descended.
- Abraham alias Ibrahim is the progenitor of both the Jewish and Arab peoples.
- (biology) An ancestral form of a species.
- (figuratively) A predecessor of something, especially if also a precursor or model.
- ARPANET was the progenitor of the Internet.
- Are neural progenitor cells infected by Zika virus?
- (figuratively) Someone who originates something.
- A founder.
- German: Ahn, Stammvater, Vorfahr, Vorfahre
- Portuguese: progenitor
- Russian: прароди́тель
- Spanish: progenitor