- The act of varying; a partial change in the form, position, state, or qualities of a thing.
- A related but distinct thing.
- When the process didn't work, we tried a variation.
- All of his soups are variations on a single recipe.
- (nautical) The angular difference at the vessel between the direction of true north and magnetic north.
- Synonyms: magnetic declination
- (board games) A line of play that differs from the original.
- (music) A technique where material is repeated with alterations to the melody, harmony, rhythm, timbre, texture, counterpoint or orchestration; but with some invariant characteristic, e.g. a ground bass.
- (genetics) The modification of a hereditary trait.
- (astronomy) Deviation from the mean orbit of a heavenly body.
- French: variation
- German: Veränderung
- Italian: variazione
- Portuguese: variação
- Russian: измене́ние
- Spanish: variación
- French: déclinaison