- IPA: /təˈɹɪfɪk/
- (colloquial) Frighteningly good.
- I say! She's a terrific tennis player.
- (colloquial) Astounding or awesome.
- The car came round the bend at a terrific speed.
- (dated) Terrifying; causing terror.
- The lightning was followed by a terrific clap of thunder.
- 1821, Charles Maturin, Melmoth the Wanderer, volume 2, page 154:
- Think of wandering amid sepulchral ruins, of stumbling over the bones of the dead, of encountering what I cannot describe,—the horror of being among those who are neither the living or the dead;—those dark and shadowless things that sport themselves with the reliques of the dead, and feast and love amid corruption,—ghastly, mocking, and terrific.
- Frightful or very unpleasant.
- I've got a terrific hangover this morning.
- (colloquial) Extraordinarily great or intense.
- terrific speed
- French: formidable, fantastique
- German: fantastisch, hervorragend, supertoll, wahnsinnig, irre, sagenhaft, riesig, großartig, grandios
- Italian: eccezionale, stupendo
- Portuguese: formidável, estupendo, fantástico
- Russian: потряса́ющий
- Spanish: estupendo
- German: fürchterlich, furchtbar, schrecklich, schreckeinjagend, grauenvoll
- German: grauenhaft, fürchterlich, furchtbar, schrecklich