- A battle fought at close range; hand-to-hand combat; brawling.
- A noisy, confused or tumultuous fight, argument or scrap.
- Any any confused, disorganised, disordered or chaotic situation.
- Lively contention or debate, skirmish.
- (military, historical) A cavalry exercise in which two groups of riders try to cut paper plumes off the helmets of their opponents, the contest continuing until no member of one group retains his plume.
- Small cut and polished gemstones sold in lots.
- German: Handgemenge, Nahkampf, Händel, Schlägerei, Rauferei, Prügelei
- Italian: combattimento corpo a corpo
- Russian: рукопашная
- German: Nahkampf
melee (melees, present participle meleeing; past and past participle meleed)
- (video games, slang) To physically hit in close quarters, as opposed to shooting, blowing up, or other ranged means of damage. Often refers to the usage of a hand-to-hand weapon.